2018 Mort Schwartz Excellence in Education and Auto Care Career and Education (ACE) Awards Winners Announced
By Camille Sheehan
BETHESDA, Md. – September 7, 2018 – The Auto Care Association announced yesterday the winners of the 2018 Mort Schwartz Excellence in Education Award and the 2018 Auto Care Career and Education (ACE) Awards at its Fall Leadership Days event in Austin, Texas.
The Mort Schwartz Excellence in Education Award is annually given to an individual that demonstrates a passion for advancing the concepts and programs for education and continuing education in the North American auto care industry.
Brent Berman, director, training and consumer experience, Federal-Mogul Motorparts, was selected as this year’s Mort Schwartz Excellence in Education Award for his stewardship of the Garage Gurus’™ innovative technical training program. Berman has been involved in the automotive industry for over 25 years, primarily in the technical field evolving from mechanical to digital. In his 21 years at Federal-Mogul, Berman has held roles of increasing responsibility in technical training, marketing and now manages the Garage Gurus training group in addition to the catalog and research team, overseeing critical activities from training, tech support, cataloging, e-data and digital media. Berman also oversees the company’s “Tech First” initiative that seeks to simplify and improve the many touch points it has with all levels of customers.
"Early in my career, I was fortunate to be able to take advantage of ACDelco's 'DelcoTech' program in Canada, and since then, understand the positive effect that access to training has on the whole industry," said Berman. "As Federal-Mogul Motorparts is committed to training techs through its Garage Gurus program, I am, along with my colleagues, determined to continue to encourage students to obtain the technical education they need to build successful careers in the automotive repair industry. I am honored to receive this award and thank everyone who made this possible.”
The ACE (Auto Care Career and Education) Award annually recognizes industry companies that demonstrate a dedication to investing in the growth of their employees’ knowledge and skills through access to professional development and career opportunities.
The 2018 ACE Award winners are:
- Small company: Ervine's Auto Repair & Grand Rapids Hybrid – Grand Rapids, Mich.
Ervine's Auto Repair & Grand Rapids Hybrid is recognized for:
- Education - Opportunities for furthering education is provided to employees through a variety of methods, including on-site classroom, webinars and printed material as well as on-the-job training and mentoring.
- Training - Employees have access to a variety of training opportunities, including Auto Seminars, Napa Auto Care, Auto Value, Parts Plus, Women in Auto Care, ACDC Hybrid and many more.
- Certification is supported for employees, including ASE and ACDC Hybrid.
- Large company: Aftermarket Auto Parts Alliance, Inc. – San Antonio, Texas
Aftermarket Auto Parts Alliance, Inc. is recognized for:
- Education - Alliance University, its internal Learning Management System, is available to all members of the Auto Value and Bumper to Bumper family. Within this training system, the Alliance’s online classes help everyone expand their knowledge on topics such as automotive technology, human resources, safety, sales and more.
- Scholarships - More than $30,000 in scholarship funds are given away every year to Alliance shareholder personnel and staff. Additionally, all staff and their immediate family can apply for the Alliance's scholarship. Scholarships include industry opportunities, such as the Northwood University Leadership 2.0 course.
- Training - The Auto Value and Bumper to Bumper Technician of the Year program encourages their top technicians with the Auto Value, Bumper to Bumper and Confidence Plus Certified Service Center network to complete ASE trainings, and participate in live and online channel partner manufacturer trainings.
Customer Service Manager Megan Dineff accepted the ACE award on behalf of Ervine’s Auto Repair & Grand Rapids Hybrid while CEO John R. Washbish accepted the award on behalf of Aftermarket Auto Parts Alliance, Inc.
To apply for an upcoming award, visit autocare.org/awards. For more information about the Auto Care Association’s education and professional development initiatives, please contact Amanda Bischoping at email@example.com or 301-654-6664.